View Single Post
Old 07-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #83
piratexpress1369a

Re: Mike's 60 Suburban build

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesacs View Post
Yes, diesel fuel injected.

When starting this project I wanted to get more than the typical 13ish MPG that I knew that I could build with a SBC. I wanted a burb that I wouldn't not drive because MPG sucked. I needed the power similar to a SBC, but am old enought to know I don't need a truck that can pull a track hoe through Colorado (or think I can). I read into low cubic inch SBC with turbo's and EFI and then looked at turbo 4 cyl diesels (4btswap.com) in either cummins or isuzu. I finally settled on the 6.2 with a Banks turbo with a 89 or newer block and 1 dot Riccardo combustion chambers and a 700r4.

The 6.2 was GMs answer to the 70's oil price problem. They made a fuel efficient diesel starting in 82. The sticker highway MPG was 23 MPG for a 1/2 ton truck. It got a bad rap because the early blocks were prone to crack at the main bearing web. GM reinforced that starting in 89. It also is often compared to other diesels which are built for power like the Cummins. The 6.2 was never ment to tow a 8,000 lbs motor home. Not a fair comparison. Just like the Cummins was never ment to get 23 MPG sticker. It was designed to compete with the small block chevy and nearly double the MPG of a small block chevy. GM dealers started offering Banks Turbo's installed on the 6.2 as a dealer option and GM even adopted the Banks in 93 (I think) for factory trucks. My research for a high MPG engine that could move this burb well and tow 4 to 5,000 lbs occasionally is why I chose this engine.

I know my burb is heavier than the 1/2 ton truck and probably has poorer aerodynamics, but my goal is to still get MPG in the low 20's.
cool .i would like to get a diesel also for my panel.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post5457281
piratexpress1369a is offline   Reply With Quote