View Single Post
Old 07-31-2012, 01:49 PM   #30
cericd

Re: Project O.G. - My First Ever Build

So, I'm looking at doing an ECE 4" - 6" drop with 5-lug disc conversion. Well, I'm finding out that this opens a whole can of worms since my truck is currently 6 lug drums all around.

Am I correct I will also need the following?

1. 5 lug rear axle swap or re drill (what's the benifit of each?)
2. 5 lug rear drums (or can I use the 6 lug drum with some sort of modification?)
3. Seems like some say to switch to rear disc some say don't (more worms? loss of emergency brake? mine doesn't work currently but I guess that's another issue
4. 5 lug wheels (I'd like a set of steelies [not rallies] so I can run dog dishes but I've read that the disc with widen the front track width by about 3 inches overall so... is there a particular 5 lug steelie that I should be looking for? narrow front/wider in back?

Also, I like the look of not having a brake booster but I want this thing to stop really well too. Any suggestions. (I'm pretty sure custom brakes are out of my budget)

This is my first build and I have limited tools and mechanical knowledge so, I don't think I'm up for swapping out half a chassis from this and the other half from that so I guess I'm looking for the most straight forward way to go about all this.

This truck seems to be pretty original with a lot of 40+ year old parts that should probably be replaced and I would like to replace them with new parts (might as well get the right parts the first time)

Thanks for the help.
cericd is offline   Reply With Quote