View Single Post
Old 08-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #16
Zeke's Garage

Re: How to install a Camaro T-5

Hey guys, got my T5 install completed a couple weeks ago, and things went together much better than I had expected.

I'm currently running an inline 250 with a Megasquirted TBI fuel injection system. The truck was originally a 3 speed ott, but the linkage and transmission were in horrible shape.

I had two T5's, one from an '83 Camaro (NWC) and one from an '89 S10 4 cyl (WC). I used the Camaro main body mostly because of the 26 spline input shaft, and put on the S10 tailshaft for the shifter location. I made a vertical mount bracing crossmember from the old rubber mount and two support struts that came with the S10 transmission <insert picture here>

Overall the truck drives very nicely, but the higher (numerically lower) Camaro gears aren't the greatest for first gear, and even with the 3:73 rear in my truck, the overdrive is only good for 60 plus on the highway. Now that I know I can get an 11" clutch for the 14 spline S10, I might just swap the S10 WC body back into it and get the better gear ratios.

Also, I now have no speedometer, since the Camaro was a manual, and the S10 was an electronic, there was no easy way to make either of them work for now.

I haven't put too many miles on it yet, as I need to get it aligned after replacing the power steering box, so highway mileage still needs to be checked.
Zeke's Garage is offline   Reply With Quote