Thread: George...
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #73
69gmcc10

Re: George...

Thank you gringoloco, you have been a huge source of info on how to convert to trailing arms.

Trying to keep the vehicle down for as little time as possible I have decided to leave the trailing arm cross member where it is until after I switch to a 4 speed auto, hopefully next year. This way I don’t need to lengthen the driveshaft 1.5” or move the trans cross member and engine mounts back 1.5” and then do it again when I install the new transmission.

After I bolted the cross member in I took the entire rear suspension off, axle, leafs and brackets then I set the truck on jack stands under the cab. It was at this point in the middle of summer and 3 days before my birthday that I get a respiratory cold and another week went by without being able to do anything to the truck. My neighbors hate me, but its ok they are hippies. So Sunday I got back at it and flipped the mounting brackets on the trailing arm cross member, painted (por15) the shock cross member and bolted it back in for hopefully the final time, and cleaned the trailing arms to prep them for por15.

WARNING: Undercoating is indestructible and should only be confronted by professionals!

If you want to clean up your trailing arms, do your self a favor, rub your nickels together and buy a sand blaster or have them blasted! I used a paint/rust stripping disc for a drill and what used to be my hands, it has been two days and a bottle of ibuprofen later and the clubs on the ends of my arms still hurt! I won’t do that again!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images

69gmcc10 is offline   Reply With Quote