Thread: Make it handle
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 05:46 PM   #1351
turbobuick1

Would really appreciate your thoughts on this Rob...

I don't mean to hijack the thread or take the discussion in a different direction, but I've got a question on the anti-squat characteristics for the rear trailing arm suspension.

I've got a '72 C20 that I am lowering to the ground with air suspension, and I am using a very different approach for the rear, that is, I 'Z'ed the rear frame 6" and added a 2" C-notch to the frame to allow the truck to lay frame on 30.5" diameter tires.

Before I gave any thought to anti-squat, I fabricated a K-member in an effort to increase torsional rigidity and keep the frame square in the area where I did a 6" 'Z'. At this time, I planned on using the stock trailing arm pivot point.

Now I am in the mindset that I should raise the trailing arm pivot points as high as I reasonable can, at the very least, flip the mounting brackets. This would mean altering the K-member, which is fine, but I'm wondering, is it neccessary?

Bear in mind I am building this as a practical everyday driver, not a performance-oriented truck at all. Should I be worrying about the anti-squat at all?

Appreciate any of your thoughts on this! You seem the be one of the most knowledgable people in terms of suspension design/geometry for GM trucks, hence why I am asking for your opinion.
Attached Images

turbobuick1 is offline   Reply With Quote