View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 11:11 PM   #309
theastronaut

Re: Project Goldilocks, '66 C10 SWB BBW Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by padresag View Post
would you feel secure in one of these at 160.I have had my old 4 x 4 panel up around 85 and felt that was enough and that was with a 4 cyl and it was just starting to hum' I did have a 911T when I was younger and had it reading at 150 mph and felt it was pretty quick
these vehicles of ours are like a square brick in the wind though. I can remember coming into Vancouver on the freeway in my panel fighting a good h/wind and had trouble going over 50mph
ron
With the planned frame/suspension modifications it should be very stable well above 100 mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Great project! You 60-66 guys arent afraid to charge in there!
Thanks!

As far as updates go, the VW engine is back in- just gotta hook everything back up, so that'll be out of the way within the next week or so. I got the steering column cover back from a friend last week, so I have all the pieces to go ahead and rebuild/detail the column and paint the wheel, turn signal housing, and shifter bell. I'll probably do this next. I haven't checked with the gauge guy in a few weeks, so no update on the speedo/tach for now. I haven't been able to find an LS2 block locally, so I'm not able to mock up the engine/trans yet either. I feel like a slacker for not making any progress this summer!

I have been working on replicating the textured '66 only dashboard paint. This was using SEM Texture Coating in a rattle can, and swapping the spray nozzle for a regular paint can tip for a finer mist. I backed off the panel about 2 feet so that it would dry spray and not flow out. It's a little to coarse/rough but fairly close, and I think buying it by the quart and spraying it at higher pressure through my Sata will produce the results I'm looking for. The green is just some rattle can paint over the SEM to see how well paint covers without distorting the texture. I'd say the factory texture matches 150-180 grit sandpaper pretty closely, and the rattle can SEM is around the texture of 80-120 grit. I'm hoping that thinning it and spraying through my paint gun should get it dead on the original paint texture!

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote