View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #177
k1rodeoboater

Re: K1's build thread

progress has been slow to non-existent. I had to get the clutch in my DD replaced...only took them over a week...and now I'm stuck waiting on some parts to come in for my suspension. Hopefully I'll have a vehicle again in a few days aside from my motorcycle which I'm slowly getting re-acquainted with.

That said there has been SOME progress made. My drivers door has been repaired and I'll be finishing up the patches on it today. I'll upload a few pics later if I remember to take them LOL. I had to patch the lower front portion of the inner door (BTW that patch piece sucked donkey balls. Had to pie cut, and rebend it to match up even close.) and also do the outer lower door skin. While I do have the full repo door skins I decided to give patching it a shot rather than doing a full re-skin. We'll see how it comes out, worst case I'll be redoing it again/later. so far so good though, and I learned a new trick to bending a 90 degree angle in metal without a brake. Score the line you want to bend on with a scratch awl and straight edge. Take your grinder and score it with the cutoff wheel, then using an adjustable wrench you can slowly bend it up right at the "cut/score" line. This will give you a much cleaner 90 degree bend than just trying to do it without scoring it. I had to do this to make my door skin patch piece out of some scrap I had left over from a floorpan piece.

here's a teaser pic

not bad for a home made patch out of scrap if I say so myself...

My goal for today...

1.) Get the door skin welded back on, edges folded, spot welded back into place, and grinded down.

2.) Maybe replace the control arm bushings on the upper drivers side a arm, or swap the control arm out for one with good bushings as a temp fix.

3.) paint the pinch weld around the cab to get my door seals glued on in the next few days.

I gotta really budget my time well because I now know I will be moving to CA in about a month and a half, and the truck won't be coming with me.

no garage, no shop, limited storage space and tools....no problem.
k1rodeoboater is offline   Reply With Quote