View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #42
awbrown

Re: How I found My Truck...What's your story...?

Well , have you ever wondered "where that old truck I had is".. Well I was thinking that on the trip we were making home to the great state of Maine ..
It started life as a 72 chevy long bed , but when the farm was done abusing it it was put out back in the farm junk yard .. too many people had gotten the old three speed stuck between gears and I think everyone gave up on it .. So one day I threw a battery in it and it fired up , after rocking back and forth I got it out of it's rest area... My intentions were to graft a 3/4 ton rear end and frame from another truck to it so I had a wrecker .. I was just starting out and was short on cash .. the frame was wider , but I welded one side and rigged the other side so it worked ... this served me well til I found a newer 4 wheel drive truck ...in the mean time I had secured a 78 chevy short bed for the cab to use on the new wrecker so I was left with the rear section.. So I fired up the torches and cut it off in the right place,removed the 3/4 frame from the 72 frame and grafted them together...next I found a 67 nose and got it running and drove the wheels off it ... Then a customer started pestering me to buy it ,finally I relented and sold it to him.. He painted it teal with orange scallops and had every conceiveable dangly thing hanging in the cab .. I told him it looked like Elvis have done the inside of the cab... well i lost track of the truck and knew that the guy had died ,but never did find out who ended up with the truck...

Well when we were home I wanted my son to see what real work was like so my brother was haying some fields we hayed when we were his age so I got him off to the field .. after some sweat and work we took a break and nature called , so I took a few steps into the woods and thought I made out a chevy truck off in the distance turned arond and took about 10 paces back to go to work again and said "that looks like it is teal" .. Sure enogh when I got close enough it was teal and it did have ornage faded scallops.. Sure enough it was my old truck ,still had the green cab interior (the farm had all its trucks painted meadow green) still had the 6 cylinder and had leaf spring rear suspention and I could make out where the frame was welded .. they had replaced the bed with a fleet side .. of course it need everything you would expect an old truck would need to but it was all there minus the stepside bed...
awbrown is offline   Reply With Quote