Thread: 39 truck
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #13
truckeez

Re: 39 truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaymon View Post
well i though you were talking about a rear as that is very popular right now for prewar cars right now. builders no longer use the the jag fronts because we've learned what stoping the rotating force of the larger rims does to them. the x type is way to light for any domestic application. the e-type would be the only one that would support the weight of a truck and your pushing it. a mustang front is actually too light for a driver, but after market manufacturers have address the things we as builders had to do before fatman came on the scene. you are telling this guy to build a trailer queen and that erks me.they work great in a pantera or a pre 35 as they weight less than 3000lbs, but the problem come if you plan on keeping the vehicle for a while as i found out. they become troublesome and expensive. front end, rear end, it doesnt matter. ive done this swap several times in the past before an alternative was available. it was a very popular swap on mid 50s ford trucks and well i still have a couple of my 50s fords and ive recently had to cut the jag parts out and replace them with with mustang and vega fronts.
This is all silly, jags make the best- quickest and cheapest route to converting to a great modern suspension, As i already said the cars were riding on 16" at the end of their runs, carrying v12's and turbo 400 transmissions in the xj and xjs. --cant carry the weight-ridiculous.
Countless swaps have been done here more recently using the late jag stuff--but mainly in Australia. There's plenty of trucks with bigblocks. And NO most of these rods DONT need 13" rotors--because its too much brake for most.
Sounds like you might be a favorite of 55-59's mainly ide bet. 18-20" tires arent in the realm of the late 30's trucks the fenders just aren't designed for that big a tire--even if someone was dumb enough to run them.

The reason rod shops just want to discredit them is because its got ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with a shop making money off it,.........................

Cant have that happening.. for sure!

The only person the owner has to deal with is the guy at the salvage yard counter and -maybe a scrapmetal yard for a piece of channel,
And thats all.

If you look closely at the rear steer offering from heidt's it looks suspiciously like a direct knock off of the jag crossmember--anyone who wants to say its flimsier than the heidts piece of square tubing is Nuts.
Something else you said just dosent make sense either--- a steering rack off a late model gm pickup on a early camaro front subframe dosent work correctly either- even by bolting on the steering arms backward.

Guess what though-- if someone were trying to find the best rack and pinion to mount on the early Camaro subframe in the correct rear steer setup......................

And not pay unisteer--or steeroids a $100 for a kit--

Take a guess which car would be a good bet to get it from?
Attached Images

Last edited by truckeez; 08-28-2012 at 09:55 PM.
truckeez is offline   Reply With Quote