View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #1090
ryanroo

Re: Finally starting my Longhorn 4x4 conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Thanks man.

That's funny you mentioned that. I was looking around for it because I couldn't remember if you sent it or not and I thought I lost it like all my other spare parts. LMAO. I prefer the back to be higher a little too, but mine was literally 4" higher. I didn't want to raise the front that much because I don't want the truck to look stupid. Big lift, small tires you know. I ended up replacing the front spring hangers on the rear springs with 2wd ones and removed the 4wd ones. This literally dropped the rear 4".
That was going to be my suggestion if you didn't figure something out. great minds think alike i guess. did you have to leave the shackle bolted real close like it was? i think if it stays that way it will make the ride real choppy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
I just remembered some thing else. I saw on another thread where some one was saying the studs on the D60's like to break off? I can't imagine that unless you get in a wreck or severly shock load the front tires. The same guy mentioned going to crossover steering, which isn't a bad idea. But you still use the same area to mount a tie rod to, so what's the diff?
i know with the block there is a little more chance of it happening, but in the stock form in a driver type truck its a non issue. with huge tires and hydraulic steering sometimes they do shear simply from being over stressed. the off road world has solved that issue by making knuckles and arms that are keyed. in a stockish height truck and with the intent being street driver/tow i much prefer the GM factory style steering. crossover wants to push the axle on the springs and is really not that easy to get rid of bumpsteer with. the steering on my jeep is crossover and i spent plenty of time making sure the drag link is flat and everything is correctly matched. i still have a little bumpsteer wiggle on bumps on the street. with all the components in good working order and the drag link angle reasonable and sane GMs stuff does great. the only improvement would be to have the swing point of the steering in line with the spring eye so the drag link and axle swing in the same arc.

Ryan

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote