Thread: 48 panel truck
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012, 07:53 PM   #189
xpickup

Re: 48 panel truck

mud.man.rj, oldman3, 99 to Life, Thank you. It is a really nice looking tattoo. I would like to get one with my panel and a 54 truck( project down the road) sometime.

Today was a day off from work so I worked on the panel. First was the steering. I used the stock steering shaft and cut and made a coupling and welded it back together. But it was close to the a arm and was rubbing. So tore it out and I still used the lower rag joint but use a U joint and some DD shaft. I did not like the hollow shaft on the column so I cut a short piece and drove it in the steering column then weld the one side of the hole shut. Now it is solid. It still had a one on one side so the set screw went into that spot. Then placed the DD shaft in the lower part of the joint and spot drill it for the set screws. Put it all back together and not it steers great.

Next was the exhaust tip which had a annoying vibration. Once I pulled it off I found out it had cracked at 2 places. When I did it I think I only fusion welded it. I did it at work years ago with there TIG. SO I did not have any 308 SST rod so I got some and TIG welded it back together. It is great having both types of welder at home. Man I love tools. Then I drilled the center of the tip for a piece of 3/8 SST tube I had laying around. And welded it in. I took it for a drive and no more annoying vibration.

I also ordered some new window fuzzies for the windows. I ordered the stuff for glass that has no metal trim on the glass. I got it from restoration specialties here in PA. Because I want to get my side glass and power windows and doors in before winter. I should quite driving but am finally having too much fun doing so.

Shannon
Attached Images

xpickup is offline   Reply With Quote