View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #31
chevy72pu

Re: Won't start when hot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioDan View Post
The new mini starter won't work on my truck. My starter mounts with 3 bolts going front to back. Can't find a mini starter like that. What did GM do in the past to prevent a heat soaked starter? Have never seen a heat shield on them in the past. Starter on mine weighs a ton, and is there an easy way to get the starter out around the exhaust pipe? Looks like I might hafta drop the exhaust on that side? Any answers or suggestions would be appreciated.
Mine mounted that way too. When the mini starter came I thought I had the wrong one. But when I slid under the truck and looked straight up there were the holes I needed to to mount it. I used one shim on both bolts and one split washer on each and it snugged right up. And it's a lot lighter (7 lbs) so it easier to mount.I used a floor jack to let the old one down, just had to wiggle it around a little to clear the exhaust. I still coulda used another hand though. Might want to look under your engine and see (course you gotta take the old starter off to see the holes).

'10 Traverse LTZ
03 Silverado Z71 ext cab
99 Yamaha Grizzly 600
72 C10 350/350 sportside bed.
68 C30 flatbed. 350 4-speed.

"I've got a good memory, it's just short!"
chevy72pu is offline   Reply With Quote