Thread: Make it handle
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #1370
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Re: Make it handle

I dont think that this thread ever discussed braking systems, more specifically vacuum assist, hydroboost, manual master cylinders (dual and tandem).

Most of our trucks on this thread are maybe for autocross/protouring, handling, and do see street time as well. A play vehicle maybe? The majority would tend to have disc all the way around as well.

There seems to be a trend towards getting rid of the assist braking systems and going towards the manual systems; lack of vacuum, available space, not as safe as manual, etc. Are manual systems feasible on a vehicle that sees street time, a hot rod show, autocross?

If manual is the way to go, the question then becomes dual or tandem? What about the dual cylinder with balance bar vs tandem cylinder with a proportioning valve? How about pedal set ups? 6 1/4 to 1 or 7 to 1? Can manuals be placed on the frame using the stock pedal, or would putting it on the firewall better? If firewall, masters inside the cab or on the outside in the engine compartment. I would think masters inside is nothing but a pain in the neck. I maybe wrong.

Is all this worth considering, or leave the vacuum master alone and choose another thing to tinker with?
hotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote