View Single Post
Old 09-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #27
Stepside Jim

Re: 1957 Chevy truck re-rebuild

Well, now that I think about it, it was amost 2 years ago to the day I took this picture. I had just got the engine assembled to this point when I got the call that dad passed away.

So the engine was 80 percent assembled, and much of the body work was smoothed. I lost my interest, my focus was gone. The truck sat for a year and a half. I had another truck that needed work so I worked on it and the 57 gathered dust.

Other than the pictures of the redesigned taillights that I posted earlier, all the others are from 2 years ago.

Now we're up do date, at least the last few months. This Chevy has become my only focus. Being single, I can do that without getting in trouble.

One issue I had was to go back to the original rear bumper, so I ordered one along with the original brackets.

I mounted the bumper then stood back and scratched my head. Are you kidding me, that thing sits so far back it doesn't look like a part of the truck. Plus it's too low.

I removed a section out of the brackets, then realized I wanted to build the filler panel between the bed and the bumper. I needed about 3/8" space. Welding a bead on the bead I bridged the space to hold the bumper in place while I made the panel. Now it's time to get the brackets back together.

Once the gap has been filled.

Time to get it looking original.

Looking good and the bumper is exactly where I want it to be.

Same procedure for the ones that go to the sides.

The welding and grinding is done.
Stepside Jim is offline   Reply With Quote