View Single Post
Old 09-07-2012, 01:44 AM   #100
argonaut

Re: 66 4x4 my sons new project

Solution #1:
I still don't have one yet. At least not one that I love. But I have a few ideas and options. So I'll just get the rear axle cleaned and painted and mounted this weekend and come back to this later.

Solution #2:
I mounted the bumper and the discovered the solution will be an easy one. Just a few modifications to the bumper brackets and it should be fine.

Anyway, in the mean time, I've been working on the front axle. Pulled it almost completely apart. At first I couldn't get the right side axle shaft out through the knuckle. Turns out there was a previous u-joint failure and it deformed the axle shaft ears. Luckily I have another Dana 44 from which I stole the short side axle shafts.

New seals, new U-joints, rotors, hub flanges, etc are going in. And I got some new new spicer U-joints for all my axles and drive shafts in the mail yesterday!

Pressed the severly rusted U-joints out (needles bearings were spilling out like rain drops when I was getting them setup on the press), and cleaned them up.

Front drive shaft, rear drive shaft, and trans-transfer case prop shaft. With the 14B going in I think my rear drive shaft will need to be even shorter. I'm going to investigate using the double cardan front shaft from my 73 donor pickup as the rear shaft on the 66.

A mix of old U-joints. Some spicer, some cheapos, some sturdy looking ones that say made in Japan. Never the less all are puny compared to my beefy new Spicers.

I also picked up some drive flanges for the Dana 44 external hubs.

I decided to pick up a rebuild kit for the Rockwell T-221 and tear into it. This way I won't have to worry about it exploding on me later. I'll be doing the same with the SM420.

Here it is, being wheeled in and prepped for surgery this weekend.

Does anyone know, is this an original build placard, or is it a service placard?

1972 K5 Blazer CST, Turquoise
1966 K20 Short Fleet Pickup, Big Ugly
1964 C10 Short Fleet, Gertrude

2001 Porsche 911 Carrera
1996 Ford Bronco XLT
1980 Jeep Wagoneer

2008 Honda CBR1000RR
2005 Honda RC51
1981 Honda CB750C

No dis-assemble Johnny Five! No dis-assemble!

Last edited by argonaut; 09-07-2012 at 01:55 AM.
argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote