View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #48
Edahall

Re: 1982 GMC Sierra LS3 + 6l80e 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminclouds View Post
Thanks man,
I might go with the HX35 because of how well it works on my other truck, but if I found a way for a VGT to work I would do it in a heart beat..
Already bought the oil through dodge, which is expensive as hell but you have me looking into the 5th gear nut now, While I have it sitting in the garge Ill go ahead and fix that.
My truck has 3.08's right now so I figured id give it a try.
Man I love your suburban! Did you have any problems with heat, and is your 205 a divorced transfer? Would you have done anything different on your swap that you might give me some advice on before Im complete?
Your 3.08's will probably work out fine as long as your HX35 has the 12 cm housing (which is good for low rpm power). My engine only turns around at 1300 rpms at 65 with the double overdrive and oversize tires. It has plenty of power to push it way past 80 mph.

Nope, my NP205 bolted directly to the NV5600 transmission and then, the GV is bolted behind the NV5600.

Yes, getting rid of heat is something to pay attention to. I hope you've got a 4 core radiator. I've only saw the temperature needle head north one time on mine when I was pulling an extremely heavy load up a steep grade. I just had to shift up another gear and go a little slower. Basically, the more power the engine produces, the more that heat becomes an issue. People can brag that their truck produces 500 hp but it certainly can't sustain that for a very long time. The frontal area of our trucks are simply not large enough to get rid of that much heat.

If I were to do anything differently, I would have modified the oil pan in the corner so that there would be no chance of it hitting the front pumpkin. Then instead of installing 2" lift springs, I would have installed 1/2 ton leaf springs and supplemented it with some air bags to get my desired height. The way it is right now, it rides pretty rough. Other than that, I'm extremely satisfied with the rig and plan to drive it forever.
-Gear Vendors Overdrive - HX35 Holset Turbo
-NP205 iron transfer case
-3.73 gears -2" Lift
Edahall is offline   Reply With Quote