View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 11:50 PM   #4
shtnangiten

Re: How can I build 454 for low RPM Power/Torque?

Thanks for the input about the transmission:

This has been a serious source of debate, the transmission. I got one shop saying the same you guys are, but several saying that the 700R4 can be built strong enough to handle it reliably, and even will warranty it. I am still up in the air over it, and may end up going to a manual transmission in the end with an OD, like maybe a re-worked, and strengthened NV4500. Maybe there are other suggestions for that. I was going to post a separate thread about that issue. I really cannot afford to go with the 4L80 with the computer.. One quote for that was over $5000. Maybe there are cheaper, reliable shops that can build one a lot cheaper. I don't know.

However, I am really in search of info about what to do with the 454. For SBC Vortec heads are mentioned a lot to get better flow for SBC engines. Same for a MkIV 454? The 454 Vortec heads? How about other things that might be good for it. Looking at probably the RV cam, the Edelbrock Performer intake, and a 750 to 850 carb. I would like to get a bit higher on the CR, and get more efficient flow, without having to go with the expense of Dart, or Edelbrock heads. I have matched ports, and polished ports in heads before on a couple of engines I did, so I can probably do that with this one too.

Last edited by shtnangiten; 10-03-2012 at 12:03 AM.
shtnangiten is offline   Reply With Quote