View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #16
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Re: How can I build 454 for low RPM Power/Torque?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shtnangiten View Post
I have built several SBC engines, a Pontiac 400 & a 455. I have never opened up a 454, nor do I know a lot about them. I had a 2 wd version of the same truck many years ago with the 454 that was bone stock and I was very impressed with the power available. I am hoping to build one that is better, and more efficient than stock...My RV trailer weighs in at 7000 lbs max. Any ideas on what to do with a build to reach my goals?
Here's the dyno sheet on my Pontiac 462ci that I built specifically for my shop truck to tow a trailer - targeting high flat torque band off of idle and average 400 hp through 5000 RPMs. There is absolutely nothing fancy about it except for the aluminum heads so I could run a little higher CR. The heads have 2.11-I/1.77-E valves in an 85 cc chamber, and running around .580 lift. 750 cfm Holley vacuum secondary carb. This would be really easy to replicate in the BBC with a proven combo short block (a lot more and cheaper parts are available for Chevys). Shop around for the heads and intake and stay away from the high RPM racing stuff...I was looking for higher exhaust velocity rather than higher volume.

Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote