View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
Big Tex

Re: Big Tex's 83 Chevy 2wd to 4wd Conversion

So, over the next days and weeks, I did a lot of research on how to do this. (Thank you for inventing the internet Al Gore ) At first I thought, I really only need a front axle, some springs, and spring brackets, right? Not quite. Oh yeah, to be 4x4, it's gotta have a transfer case. Wonder if one would bolt up to my 700R4? Nope. Need a 4x4 trans for a t-case.

So, I came up with basically 3 ways to do this. In my opinion, none of them are wrong, in fact I've seen all of them done on this very forum. I think it boils down to what tools you have, your skill set, and what you feel the most comfortable doing.

Option 1 - Gather up all the parts needed, and swap them onto the 2wd frame.
Option 2 - Swap the body onto a 4x4 Frame
Option 3 - Cut the 2wd frame and weld on the front half of a 4x4 frame.

I chose Option 2.

Now let me take the opportunity here to say (and this was brought up by the Great Dirty Larry) the easiest, fastest way to convert to a 4x4, is to sell your truck and buy a 4x4 one. So really, the only reason to do this type of swap is if you really want your truck to be 4x4. I fall into this catagory. This swap is time consuming, you probably spend more money, and it can be frustrating at times. It is a challenge, and once it's completed it does give you a great sense of accomplishment.

Ok, so thank you to our good friend Craigslist, I found a donor, stock as a stove, hadn't been registered in 12 years. It even ran, probably on at least 5 of the 8 cylinders in it's little 305. The price was right though, so $500 later I drag home a long bed '85 1/2 ton 4x4. Sold the front clip for $200, the engine for $200, and traded the badly beaten bed for some diagnostic work on my F@rd Supercrew. At least I had a frame, axles, 4x4 trans, t-case, and all the brackets.

Now I needed to cut the frame down from a LWB to a SWB, no problem, internet just shows to take 14" out between the first and second set of bed bolts. Here we go.......

Dad reading the "directions" i printed online

It's either gonna work, or be scrap now!! That's me by the way.

14" gone, now just gotta put it back together.

Tacked in place. At this point, I called in a real welder to make this joint permanent. After all, I do want to drive this thing again some day. I just didn't trust my welding enough for a truck frame.

SWB 4x4 Frame.