View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #5
jowwel

Re: Help needed identifying transmission problem.

OK, since I'm newish to this sort of work, I'll ask a few obvious questions here... Thanks again for helping me out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
First check the lube in the transmission
My understanding of how to check the lube in the transmission is to remove the plug in the side of the transmission and stick my finger in there one knuckle deep and feel for the lubrication level. Is that method accurate?

Quote:
I would suggest remove it and double check the pressure plate, throw out bearing, pilot bushing and clutch plate for any problems. It's possible the synchronizer in the tranny is shot but I would first eliminate the other potential problems. If the clutch is not releasing it will definitely cause the problem you're having. Also if the pilot bushing is seizing. Clutch and pressure plate contamination or defective can cause the vibrations you're having
Having just replaced the clutch several months ago, this should be easy to check out. It's possible that I screwed something up, but I don't think I did.

Quote:
Clutch and pressure plate contamination or defective can cause the vibrations you're having as well as worn input shaft bearings in the transmission.
Assuming the clutch checks out, what steps will I need to take to investigate if the input shaft bearings in the transmission are worn down?
jowwel is offline   Reply With Quote