View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #391
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

Thanks everyone for all the positive feedback and suggestions, I’m pretty sure I still have another pair of polished aluminum parking bezels. If I can find them I’ll slap them on and see how they look. I’ve preferred the blacked out look for a long time because it takes away much of the Chevrolet look to the hood, and because I’ve never seen anyone else black them out. But I’m thinking with the other shiny stuff it might me a nice improvement.

Yes the trim on the truck is the wide version. I also started out with the narrow trim, but as soon as I found the wide trim I completely lost interest in the skinny set. The thin version is also much harder to repair dings because there’s no access to half of the back where the J support is folded behind the face. The high profile of the wide trim allows almost unrestricted access to the back, making repairs relatively simple by comparison.

I’m going to go ahead and order the chrome bead/rear gasket today. I’ll probably keep the black bead seal in case the chrome version goes bad, but I think the chrome looks so much better it’s worth trying. My only concern is having lived through the snap-on “chrome plastic rain gutter trim” period back in the 50’s. It was also added to door edges, wheel wells, and other odd places on some cars. The snap-on plastic chrome looked like molded stainless steel when new. A short time later it turned yellow, then tan, and finally brown before it started cracking and peeling. The only solution was to peel it off and throw it away. I imagine in 50 years they’ve likely improved the technology. The new stuff is probably urethane and may very well last indefinitely.

Shortly I’ll post the steps we used mounting the windshield. The last couple of days have been consumed attending to the truck and getting everything back in working order. That and standing around admiring how nice it turned out, and being thankful we didn’t break the glass!