View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #55
davepl

Re: Lied and defrauded on 1971 c10 short bed

The difference in value between a factory short bed and a cut down long bed is hard to establish, and it would be up to you to do it (in small claims court). Let's say it's 20%, though I have no idea what it really is. So you're talking under $2K. And if you won, all you'd get is a judgment, not cash. It's up to YOU to somehow turn a judgment into cash.

Whether the guy knew or not is somewhat beside the point. You didn't inspect it beforehand, and the SPID indicated its true status. I think the judge would ask if you checked the factory SPID and looked under the truck, and since you didn't, would dismiss it right there.

There was no forgery here... no fake SPID, no forged protecto plate, no restamping of the block, or anything overtly deceptive.

From the photos I think you got a decent deal. Wishing it were a factory shortbed at this point won't change anything. I'd weld a plate on the inside of the frame and drive and enjoy it. If you can't emotionally get past the fact it's cut down, sell it and take your lumps and restart the search.

All that said, at the price you paid it looks like a nice truck. A fully restored shortbed Cheyenne would be $20K+, so why not drive it with a big smile while thinking about the $10K you saved?
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote