View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 02:02 AM   #25
Redcap

Re: K-10 Closed Knuckle Needs Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBrecheisen View Post
You can get the bearings (cups and cones) from any local parts store.
Part numbers for the cup/cone trunion bearings are 11590 and 11520. Should run you about $100 bucks for all of them. You will need 4 of each. They are super easy to replace. Only special tools you need is a soft brass drift or a punch and a medium size hammer for taping the races out from the axle housing.

When you replace them, you'll have to re-shim the trunion caps. Shims are available for about $5.00. THe ball seals are also available for $9.00 per side. I have a maintenance book that has the specifications. You'll need a spring scale to set the correct pre-load with the shims. You can get buy without one if you have to.

If you want to change out to a open knuckle axle, move ahead with your project, but if this is your daily driver, you can replace the kingpin bearings no problem in an afternoon. You won't even need that many tools to do the job. Other than some greasy hands, you'd have about 6 hours in the whole thing tops to get it fixed up. Why change a whole axle out for some warn king pin bearings??? JMO.

Look at Walck's 4WD for the knuckle seals and shims. They are available at other places, but the old Willy's Jeeps used the same king pins and seals, and they're super cheap from Walck's. Other places sell them for about 4x the price..no thanks. I'm doing a 1962 GMC K1000 right now and I just got everything I needed for less than 150 bucks.

PM or call if you want. (254-423-7237) I can help you out. Check my thread on the truck I'm working on. There is pictures of the axle I did on my Willys wagon. They're way easy to service and work on. For some reaosn, they've gotten a bad name for no reason what so ever. I say fix the bearings and keep it original. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a closed knuckle axle.

Jonathon
Other than a significantly worse turning radius and vastly inferior brakes (drum vs disc).
Redcap is offline   Reply With Quote