View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 11:37 PM   #27
dwarf717

Re: Oil capacity of 350 V8? Also, what say you about synthetic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
From my research on oils,I can find nowhere that zinc has been banned.It seems that in all I have read that some zinc is still included in most oils and that other anti-wear additives have been included in at least some.Nowhere do I find that synthetic is better or worse than mineral based oil.I also haven't found anything about changing between the different(syn-blend-mineral) types causing problems.About the time the synthetics started hitting the market,I took several industrial lube classes and never was taught that there was any difference in lubricity.There are some problems with mixing and I don't fully understand but all I have found say not to mix but you can use a blend(isn't thathe same thing?).About that same time I was involved in upkeep on a fleet and they had gone to Mobil synthetics.Their test agreement with Mobil was to run Mobil synthetic in their fleet.Changes were done every 12,000 mi but the filters were changed every 3000 and a quart added.This was in the 70's and the test was scheduled to run for several years.I do know that in the 2 years I was involved there were no serious engine wear problems noted.This was in the early/mid 70's and the fleet(or at least what we took care of) consisted mostly of 1 tons racking up 30,000 or so a year.Each oil change had to be sampled for testing by Mobil.Who knows what they found but I'm sure they are still doing some of this type of research.
I have seen the cam manufacturers all seem to require the use of an antiwaer additive(I'm assuming a lead) for cam break-in.Most have their own proprietary additive,made to their specs.
Things have changed alot since the 70s! Zddp is not in any regular car oils anymore, mineral, or synthetic. There are no replacements in the oils to replace the zinc either. Engines all have roller valvetrains now, and do not need it. Zddp does not mix well with catalytic convertors, nor will an engine with zddp in its oil pass emissions tests. That is why engines were converted to roller valvetrains, and zddp eliminated from oil
dwarf717 is offline   Reply With Quote