View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
cal30_sniper

Re: Project Modernizing a Squarebody Suburban Audio System

So, some updates...

Step 1:
Stripped out all of the factory carpet and insulation, cleaned out the floorboards, and coated them completely with Rustoleum #7771 (almost an exact match for my body color, it's what I used on the engine bay of this truck as well). There is absolutely no rust in this truck. The only thing I found that wasn't as it left the showroom was a bump at the rear drivers side where a spring mount broke and hit the floorpan. I figured that out because there's a brand new mount in that corner. Anyways, here's some shots after cleaning:

Step 2:
After several days of letting the paint bake completely dry, I moved on with the second step. This consisted of 56 sq ft of Second Skin Audio Damplifier Pro applied to the floorboards, fenderwells, and cargo area sides/spare tire well. After I finished rolling that on (took 2 days to get everything cut and fit just the way I wanted it), I taped all the seams with FlexFit aluminum ducting tape. This keeps anyone from cutting their hands on the thick aluminum sheeting if they ever have to do any work in proximity with the damplifier. Here's what the finished application looked like:

Step 3:
The Damplifier Pro quieted things down considerably back there, but still let some road noise through. I had about 35 sq ft of Second Skin Luxury Liner Pro left over from the floorboards of my totaled '87 Firebird, so I pulled it out, cleaned it up some, and let it lay out flat in the sun for a few days. Once it was flattened back out again, I patchwork quilted it into the floor and fenderwells of the suburban. It took me a while to get everything fitted and covered like I wanted. Once I had it, I glued each piece in place with 3M Rubber and Vinyl spray adhesive. After it had set, I taped up the seams, in an effort to keep any spilled water from getting under the mats, as well as to keep any of the mats from getting moved around by something shifting on top of the carpet. It came out very nice, and really quieted things down back there.

Step 4:
I also decided to replace the tailgate weatherstripping to keep rainwater from leaking in the back and working its way under the mats. Cleaning out the factory gasket was a huge pain, but I finally got it out. I then cleaned everything out real good with warm soapy water, and painted the seal and tailgate jamb area with Rustoleum. The new LMC truck gasket and window sweep rolled right into place. I also readjusted the tailgate latches to snug it up tight and keep any rattles out there. Tomorrow, I'll be putting Damplifier Pro on the tailgate, and lining the backs of the cargo panels and tailgate panel with aluminum wrap insulation from Lowes. I'll post photos of that once it's complete.

Things are moving along nicely, except for the floor lining. The LMC vinyl mats were junk. Fit was terrible on the fenderwells. The pieces of rubber they sent to cover those were completely flat, and had no molding whatsoever. I'm sending that back, and ordering carpet from 1Aauto. I'm waiting on color samples right now to see what color exactly that I need. It's a shame I can't get the matting, I was thinking that was going to work out really nice. Oh well, the carpet will be quieter and nicer if I ever have anybody riding in the third row seat.

Stay Tuned.

-cal30sniper
01 Ram 2500 - 5.9L Magnum, daily driver
91 BMW 325i - Chumpcar series racecar
cal30_sniper is offline   Reply With Quote