View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #1337
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Re: Kabwe's aka Bam's build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Bam,
Someone over on the HAMB board referred to you having taken off your roof to address rust around the perimeter between the inner and outer skins. Did you do this?

If so, I went backcthrough this thread and didn't see it. I am wondering if that work was not replaced when you lost your photos and had to re-post? If so, any chance you could post some photos (if you have them) and explain what's involved?

I have literally one inch of rust-through right where the passenger side gutter meets the roof skin - small, but I know there's more in there. I also have what I think is some old rust through inside that an old owner did some bad gas welding on in an attempt to just "cover the holes". This part is a guess but I THINK that's what happened.

I HAD planned to flap disc the interior weld blobs, MIG the exterior rust-through, reseal the gutter with modern sealant, and coat in between the skins with a heavy double coat of the Eastwood internal frame rust preventative stuff - mostly cause I don't have your fab chops or the money to pay others to do it!! Tell me how difficult the de-roof/re-roof is and your thoughts on my plan? Be honest, I can take it.
Hey Dan,

I fixed that roof two times.lol So I don't know which one you are talking about so I will post pics of both. The first fix was when I just fixed the rust under the eye brown. I did that before I found out that they sold new roof panels.

First fix pics
Rusted area

Cut out the rust

Handmade patch panel

Welded it in and grind and primed.

Second fix
I found out they sold new roof panels so I purchased one. As you can see in the pic, the new roof has the area under the eye brow the is a rusted area on a lot of our trucks. It also comes with the drip rails. This is the part of the drip rails the ride on top of the cab's rails like a sandwich. I'm not running drip rails so I cut them off.

After a lot of measure I cut the roof of my cab. The eye brow section is spot welded on. If you are keeping the drip rails clean the area good and you well see the spot welds there also.

Completed Roof
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote