View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #11
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Re: Help needed identifying transmission problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowwel View Post
Hey, I just found a Saginaw 3 speed for sale for $50. The owner had this to say:
"I pulled it from my truck to put in a 4 speed. It has a decent amount of play in the shaft... I would recommend replacing the bearings at least on the front of the trans. It worked when I pulled it but I would at least pull the cover and check the gears "

Also, my truck is a 71 C10, the transmission is of an 82 C10. Does that mean it won't fit then?

With all that in mind, does that sound like a good deal to you?
Did he say up/down play...or in /out? Dont tell him, but they all have up/down play Take hold of both the input & output shafts...in/out(end play), is what you need to watch for. The rear bearing, has a wave washer behind it....loose bearing, or broken wave, will cause enough end play to "feel". As for the front bearing, I replace that any time I do a clutch(cheap ins.) The price is not bad on the trans...if its decent shape, but you wont know till you get there. If he lets you pull the side cover, you can inspect for broken or chipped gears....check the brass rings. Do they all still have the teeth on them? Also, they will rock back /forth about 1/8"....if you find one that spins, thats an issue. As far as fit, I cant say....you need to do the measure crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote