View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 11:38 PM   #33
jbwolfe

Re: Quadrajet Hesitation When Accelerating

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
Put the vacuum tester in a vacuum port. The bottom manifold vacuum that I mentioned would be a good source. Any other manifold vacuum will work except for the ported vacuum that you have the advance on.

Next, adjust the idle screws as mentioned above by flyingtim but look for the highest vacuum on each one.
I just picked up a vac tester today, and a flair nut wrench set so I don't strip the bolt when I take the fuel line off next time. How do you tell which is ported vacuum and which isn't? You're talking about adjusting the two mixture screws in front right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHyatt View Post
It would seem reasonable to me that a simple solution would be a return to the original carb and intake which you said ran fine. Problem solved.
Aside from really wanting a 4bbl setup, the 2bbl setup had other problems of it's own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingtim01 View Post
Just what 68 said. The vacuum gauge will get your mixture right on without having to rely on your ear.

I'd grab the carb with the electric choke. It's what I have on mine, and in my estimation, its just a simpler setup. No linkage to bend/adjust, don't have to worry about the choke stove getting gummed up when your inner intake bolts start to seep oil, and they're easier to adjust when the weather changes. Just loosen the screws holding it on and rotate. Just need to run a key on 12V wire. And if you want to be really trick, there was a member who remarked that he wired his choke in through his oil pressure wire, so it only got 12V when the engine was running, not just when the key was on (so you don't have to remember to make sure your key is in the OFF position when you don't want the choke to heat up).

BHyatt, the original setup that worked well was a 2 barrel, which for obvious reasons isn't acceptable...
Yes I'm planning on putting the rebuilt Qjet with the electric choke on. I've already got the wire set up for the choke. In the mean time before I get the new carb, I am going to do some more tests on this carb because I'm curious about what's causing this problem. That and it wouldn't hurt to test my fuel pressure anyway.

I agree about the 2bbl being unacceptable.
1985 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbo Diesel - People transporter
1985 Ford F-150 4x4 300 IL6 4 speed - 4x4 parts donor for '81
jbwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote