View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #447
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

Thanks again guys for all the comments, compliments, and suggestions. I’ve finally reached a point where I can start enjoying more of what everyone else is doing. I’m surprised when I find there are some really great build threads that have been progressing for a long time, and I’ve never seen some of them before. There are just too many to keep up with.

The Chehalis Billetproof event sounds like it would be fun and just the kind of stuff I like. Regrettably my back is so deteriorated I haven’t traveled more than an hour from home in over 10 years, but a new medication is really helping. Who knows, maybe next year?

Spent much of today changing over to snow tires on both the daily driver Honda and the truck. I was hoping to leave the mags on a while longer and maybe get some additional photo opportunities, but I’ve got a slow leak in a rear tire that needs attention. We’re also supposed to have subfreezing temperatures and snow by next weekend, so I figured I’d rather change over now when the weather is more agreeable.

I also finally discovered the source of the chirping windshield trim squeak. Previously I mentioned I hadn’t made any other recent changes to the truck, but I forgot about one and that was the culprit. It turned out to be the chromed steel Hurst shifter handle. I’d never had that mounted up against the shifter adapter plate before (shown in post #39, only the aluminum handles had been used. Since there are no serrations in the adapter, even under maximum fastener torque it still managed to wiggle enough to squeak. Rather than cutting serrations in the plate, I just went back to the aluminum handle for now, and thankfully the irritation is completely gone. The windshield trim was a minor contributor, but that noise was eliminated on the first attempt. Amazing how hard some of those things can be to diagnose.