View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #19
Vic1947

Re: 68 C10 SBSS build - start to finish

Fortunately, when the cab corners were replaced during a prior repaint, they had overlapped the repair panels on top of the existing sheetmetal then hid the resulting step with a load of bondo. I was able to carefully cut them loose, leaving enough good metal to attach the new panels I'd gotten. I used flanging dies in my bead roller to offset the edge of the panel and cleco's and clamps to mock up the cab corner. This moved the step to the inside where it was much easier to hide. It's kind of hard to see in the photo, but I had to pie slice the front edge of the cab corner and re-weld it to correct the door gap. Like many of the panels I bought, they seemed better suited to being laid over the old metal rather than being an exact fit replacement.

With the corner in place, I moved back to the front and installed a new front lower door pillar. After welding it in place, and with the rotted section of floorboard removed, I exposed the floor brace. The bottom of it had rotted out, so I cut the spotwelds and replaced it with an aftermarket brace. Doing it in this order, I was able to maintain some reference points.

Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote