View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 12:44 AM   #231
68burbanontherocks

Re: Project: B.A.D. 1976 K30 CCLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82ccshorty View Post
when this truck was lifted the 22inch?(ithink thats what you said) was it drivable? as far as steering and stoping? im thinking about doing this to a truck/suburban and i need to get a parts list. Did you ever have shocks on it? what all did you have to use to correct the steering? as far as drop pitman arm, steering block? what all did you have to use for that? Thanks and awesome truck
If ryan doesnt mind i think i could answer this question haha. First off you need to think about what direction you want to go with the truck... e.g. mall crawler, mud bogger, ect. If you are considering going with that big of a lift and tires (12" and heavy military 53's) i would strongly look at going to at least 2 1/2 tons. the 6.72 gear ratio will allow you to compensate with a under powered motor if thats the case. Again really depends on what your intentions are with the vehicle, as well as budget! But leafs run pretty bad when they get that arched cause they typically add leaf packs as well as if its going on a truck or even a suburban i would look at a dot tire cause the military tires are really friggen heavy and dont flex on rocks at all i think some of the bias ply ones are like 12 or 14 ply. I would look into a set of coils or nitrogen shocks and do a single or double triangluated 4 link. Also i would look into hydraulic steering unless you are wanting to do a frankenstein steering setup that at the end of the day your still counting on a stock pump to turn big heavy tires with alot of stress on the whole steering setup. Brakes if you run rocks go with pinion brakes 6 times as strong as wheel brakes but spin 6 times as fast so they heat up pretty quick.

I speak 100% from experience ha, i built my truck with big gawdy 25" leaf springs and 54" boggers and it ran like crap really stiff, very unstable and sucked driving anywhere.

So i pulled it apart built a tube frame chassis, running a double triangluated 4 link setup a blown alcohol injected 572 big block boggers and race blown nitrogen shocks.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=510400

If you have any questions at all please just ask and ill do my best to help as much as i can, hope this helps ya out a bit... sorry ryan for hacking your build thread its pretty schweet!
68burbanontherocks is offline   Reply With Quote