View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #129
dug224

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

OrrieG and Ricott: With mount attached to bottom of trans, all of the holes in the cross member line up with the bolts on the bottom of the mount if I could just move the trans to the rear. I took the crossmember off last night and turned it 180 degrees to see if I could get it further from the mount to give me some room. Factory leading edge of crossmember has a curve which makes putting a plate a little too close. The back edge is straight. Did not work. Crossmember holes to frame would no longer line up. I will do some detailed measurements this weekend and see if I can manage some sort of solution. I really want to use the mount since it is factory and cost me a few bucks. Maybe I cut out the top metal on the crossmember and weld it in closer to the front of the vehicle.

Also working on pinion angle. Invested a bit of time in trying to understand. Right now, the rearend yolk is 3.5 degrees off of vertical pointing up. The transmission is just the opposite at 3.5 degree pointing down. Based on ricott's comment, I will revisit this weekend. As an old mechanical Engineer I used to work with would say when something perplexed him..."...I don't understand everything I know about this...". Any good lessons on pinion angles would be appreciated.

I am not longer compressed air challenged. Picked up a slightly used Kobalt 80 gallon 3 cylinder unit last night. Will wire it up this weekend. It has 4.8 running horsepower stated on the tank. The nameplate on the motor says something like "SPL". Special??? No hp stated. Amp meter says it is drawing 17 Amps. Headed towards a #10 wire and will use and existing 30 amp spare I have in the panel unless one of you electrical experts (Ogre) stops me.
dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote