View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 07:44 AM   #132
dug224

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricott View Post
Looking at your pictures in Post 121 I think I see the problem. Looking at the second picture in your post #121, it looks like the indent on the crossmenmber for the exhaust pipe is on the driver's side. I was not looking at this when I looked at my wife's envoy last night, but I do know the rest of the exhaust system runs down the passenger side. I think you may have bolted the passenger side of the crossmenber to the driver's side of the frame. By switching sides, it shoud push the crossmember forward, which would get the bolt holes for the rear mount under the tranny.

The height of the tranny above the crossmember looks like the setup in my wife's v8 Envoy (about 1 1/2 to 2 inches above the crossmember). Since the pinion angle and the tranny angle cancel each other out, (based on your readings of tranny 3.5 down/pinion 3.5 up) I think you are good, you just need to get the crossmember under the tranny so it will all bolt up.

I can verify how my wife's Envoy crossmember bolts in tonight if you need it.
I hope you are right. I was working with the crossmember the way I got it so maybe the guy who yanked the eng/trans may have put it in backwards. I just took a quick look. My exhaust is, in fact, on the passenger and if the indention is for the exhaust, it definitely needs to be rotated 180 degrees. The thing that puzzles me is that I did rotate it the other night and the holes for the crossmember to frame bolts (apparently) did not line up. I was more focused on trying to get the leading edge of the crossmember away from the mount bolts so I could fab a plate. May have been tired of being on my back. The trans mount holes favor one side of the vehicle so there is definitely only one way to mount it. I will under the truck tonight investigating. Thanks!
dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote