View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
Chevrolado

77 Chevy K10 Silverado Build

Well, first thread, first build, first real true project vehicle for me.. I've always modified, repaired and played with my daily drivers through my younger years, but never had a project vehicle like this that could afford to truly be "built" on the sidelines.

So, long story short, this truck was passed through a few family friends and stuff and ended up parked in my father in laws shop space and sitting for a "someday" project. Couple years later after using it occasionally, he finally said nevermind and I swooped on it. So we know no history on it aside from it having a crate 350 installed sometime before my father in law got it (no idea the mileage) and a B&M transmission went in then too. Every time I open something new or get behind some panel or something, I'm always in for a "Ooh, that's interesting" kind of moment. hah.

First day I got it, started it up and drove it around the shop area to see how it felt/ran/stopped/went/turned/etc..

Not too bad for a truck that’s been sitting for a while! Needs help, but it’s doable.

Got new headlights, (found a couple bulbs that weren’t working), fixed a couple lights that were almost just falling out, tightened everything up.

Got a new air cleaner to fix the rusted, beatup, dirty as all get-out, cleaner that was on it.

When I was getting the headlights and stuff changed out, the rusty grill and everything was causing me problems, so I updated that a little.

Took out the bed bar setup that was just sitting in the back (not actually established there – I guess it was a tester trial piece for a while). Went through the interior to take inventory of what’s good, what needs fixing.. Tightened up all the missing screws, fixed broken tabs, re-routed incorrect switches (the electric window switch unlocked the doors, the door locking switch rolled up and down the windows.. hah).

Then during one of my running the motor to check operational devices… this ‘rigged’ fuel hose setup split open and started spraying fuel everywhere.

So now I’m currently fixing the fuel line/fuel pump setup.

Next up, I have the parts in a box and ready for a cooling system refresh. Upper and lower radiator hoses, heater core hoses, new thermostat, new outlet, new coolant, all that jazz.

Thanks for looking.. Any encouraging words, tips, advice, do’s/don’t’s, “you‘re never going to make it”'s or general kudos are greatly appreciated. Hah. This will probably be a fairly slow and thorough build as I need this thing to be able to go on longer distance camping trips. So I want to do this all correctly from the get-go.