View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #134
dug224

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

Sorted out the pinion angle and was able to get the crossmember modified and in place. Took a section of the old '59 frame and created the pocket and shelf for the factory mount to sit on. It is located on the front side of the factory 6 cylinder crossmember. The '59 frame section I used was not quite wide enough so I had to add about 7/8" to it so the mount would fit down inside. Got the transmission located and bolted the plate to the bottom of the mount. Had to use some nailpolish on the bottom of the transmission mount bolts to transfer their locations to the plate so it could be drilled. Installed the crossmember tacked the plate to the pocket. Welding upside down is not fun so I took it out and welded it up on the bench. Ran out of gas for the MIG so I will have to come back to weld the top.

The body is so low I had to cut the floor an additional 9" toward the rear of the cab and 6" wide to avoid the transmission and 5" diameter aluminum driveshaft. Planning on a hump out of a late model vehicle and center console to cover the floor cuts.
Attached Images

dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote