View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 11:57 PM   #107
Stepside Jim

Re: 1957 Chevy truck re-rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57 View Post
This should be interesting. I'm real curious to see how it turns out.
Kim
I was very curious myself. For some reason I just had to mess with the front, so here we go.

My first issue was to figure a way to make these gills and have them blend well enough that they don't stand out too much. I know I'm changing the front, I still like the idea when someone looks at it they will take a second look.

They started with the main top plate, then the back plate that does the wrap around. Once I had them all made with consruction paper, I cut the metal pieces.

After the welding and grinding I had my gills.

Then came the marker and trying to figure where I wanted them to be.

Taping them in place gave me a 3D idea of these going to change the view of the front of the truck. I have 2 in this picture, I still have 1 more to add here.

Little bit of a side view here.

I know I'm up against a few issues. The main issue I'm struggling with at this point is welding these in place. I'm gonna have a mess if weld I these in place. The weld bead will fill too much and I'll have alot of fine grinding to do. Either that or I'll loose the detail where the gill meets the fender.

I do have the solution, I just like to throw these thoughts out there so those thinking about doing this kind of work realize some of the process that goes into getting the final result.
Stepside Jim is offline   Reply With Quote