View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 12:31 AM   #113
Stepside Jim

Re: 1957 Chevy truck re-rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKGMC4 View Post
Tack weld studs to the inside of the fender, and brackets to the gills. Then you could bolt or unbolt them as needed. Could even make them an accent color. I like them no matter what, it's a totally original idea so far as I know.
Thanks for checking in OKGMC4. I did consider making a bolt in system. One problem I had was the sheet metal from the head light to the bumper not only wraps around the front to the side. The surface is kind of concave. Not having any true straight metal areas left me without a way to have clean edges where the fender metal meets the gill metal.

We are thinking the same on the color also. So far my plan is a two tone paint job. Silver bottom, maroon metallic upper. With the silver bottom that would include the gills. I've never tried air brush, it may be time to learn. I considered at least airbrushing the edges of the gills darker to help bring them out a little more when done.

As for having an original idea......I know what you're saying. It seems everytime I think I'll done something original, grrrrr, I find an image somewhere that is similar to my idea.

As for the truck, I took a picture that shows the difference from the new to the old.

My issue of welding these in place and having was solved by cutting holes that matched the gills. This way I can insert the gills and do the weld from the backside. Sure there is going to bits of grinding to do on the exposed/front side but as for the majority of the weld will be on the backside where I can use the 4 1/2" grinder and smooth the welds.

Stepside Jim is online now   Reply With Quote