View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #235
mrhino
Account Suspended

Re: Build #2 Crusader!

after finally putty away my buffer. I could start on other areas of the truck. Getting this thing back together. I started with putting sound deadener in the doors.

here is what I did.

Having the window, regulator, and the door handle removed sure made this a lot easier job.

First thing to do is clean the surface you want to stick the material too.
I started with a scrapper to remove loose dust and debris

Then i went over it with a scotchbright pad.

Next I cleaned it with some Glass cleaner. If you have any grease or oily residue, you would want to remove that with some brake clean or some sota solvent. The point here is to have as clean a surface as possible

I took a quick measurement. to determine how much to use based on how far my short arms could reach inside the door.

Starting with a 18x32 sheet

I cut 5" off of the end

and 5" across the top. leaving me with a 13x27 sheet for the main body of the door.

I then slide the piece down into the door checking fitment. Making sure I knew exactly where Im going to put it.

peel off the backing

Slide it in place making sure not to touch the sticky side to anything you dont want it stuck to.

once its in place go ahead and press it down. Here I am using a socket but a roller, your hand anything you can get it there to press it firmly in place

Now its time for the smaller pieces I cut earlier

Again making sure I know where It should go. once its pressed in place it. Its there

done

Obviously I couldn't reach everywhere on the panel. not getting 100% coverage. but what I did do was cover roughly 60%. By cutting it into several different pieces I essential cover more area than one full sheet. The main goal is to knock down vibration and Resonance. The door does not have that hollow tinny sound it once did. By using only one sheet You use less martial and therefore the end cost to do a whole truck would be less. There is defiantly a difference in the sound between before and after. Check out the video below and at the end you can hear the difference.
Once I get my windows and handles back I will cover the out side of the inside behind the door panel. if that makes sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=9VWcDhvYJv0
mrhino is offline   Reply With Quote