View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #282
C10_ustacould
A day late and $1 short...

Re: Project "Just an Old Truck"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
Can't remember; did you do the trailing arm flip on this one? That will help correct pinion angle, too. Wheels are gonna look good!
Posted via Mobile Device
When I started the tail shaft was 5° down and the pinion was 0° (neutral), and the output shaft and the pinion gear were the same height from the ground. Right now I will have to estimate how much raising the tail shaft corrected the downward angle at the tail shaft, but lets say it is now 3° down. Having moved the tailshaft up 1" the output shaft should be 1" above the pinion gear, which opens the possibility of increasing the pinion angle (up). I have a choice here, I can install the 3.5° shims I borrowed from Hart_Rod or flip the trailing arm brackets. The shims are the easiest, and could provide a good test but depending on how many degrees it changes the pinion angle, moving the trailing arm bracket might be the better permanent fix. Does anyone know how many degrees the pinion angle changes by flipping the brackets? The other possible advantage to moving the brackets might help with is centering the wheel in the wheel well. So, I am going to try the shims next and then the flip if the shim help eliminate vibration. I will try and get numbers at each step so that we will know how the flip affects the pinion angle.

Instagram: C10_ustacould

1963 SWB Fleet Side 528 Desert Beige
Milly

1967 SWB Step Side 506 Medium Blue
The Old Girl

1968 SWB Fleet Side 503 Light Green
Ellie SOLD

1965 SWB Fleet Side 507 Light Blue
Prescription Strength SOLD

1971 SWB Fleet Side 521 White
Shiro SOLD

1968 SWB Step Side 503 Light Green