View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #16
67stepsideC10

Re: 64 C10 - This Rat's a Keeper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
I have a stock choke cable I am not going to use if you need it.
Just shoot me a PM with a mailing address and I will shoot it out to you.
That'd be fantastic. I'll send the PM now. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun1162 View Post
I would think you could rig up something, and I see no reason why you can't take off the automatic choke set-up. You'll probably have to take the carb off, because the linkages are kind of tricky to take apart. Also have to plug the vacuum port on the back that goes to the choke pull off, but thats not a big deal. Then just mae up some sort of bracket and hook the cable somewhere the choke rod.

Not trying to discourage, but how much are you planning on putting into the 4bbl set-up? From what I've seen it's pretty spendy for an old 250... The intake is a few hundred, a new or rebuilt 4bbl will probably run you a couple hundred at least... Then of course you'll need new headers, again a couple hundred bucks at least (unless you find some used), and then need new exhaust because it'll have dual exhaust instead of the old single pipe. Again not trying to put you down... But that's at least $500-$1000 before your time..
Good point about removing the carb. I'll wait and see how the cable works out that McMurphy has so kindly offered before I go any further. Fingers crossed it'll be unnecessary to remove it, but I have my doubts considering all the issues it's caused.

As for the 4bbl conversion, yeah, I know it will get spendy. I like the uniqueness of it and plus I've already spent way too much money on this truck so I'm keeping it forever. Maybe someday I'll swap in a TBI fuel injection setup from a 4.6L Vortec and a T5 from an S10. I've already learned in my brief 23 years of life that hot rods are a big hole that are lots of fun to throw money into!

Fortunately I have access to a good bit of parts at wholesale rates (wife's family owns a Camaro parts business). I'll wait for a good deal on a used intake/carb, and I look at it as a hobby so don't count my time as an expense.

I was NOT aware it'd require headers, but now that you say that it makes sense. All the photos I've collected seem to show them. Why keep stock manifolds after all that work anyway?

How awesome is this?

While we're dreaming This is the stance i'll be going for someday. Love the look of this truck. Not sure what all it'd require, but i'm sure it'll be a money pit too!