View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #17
Shaun1162

Re: 64 C10 - This Rat's a Keeper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67stepsideC10 View Post
Good point about removing the carb. I'll wait and see how the cable works out that McMurphy has so kindly offered before I go any further. Fingers crossed it'll be unnecessary to remove it, but I have my doubts considering all the issues it's caused.

As for the 4bbl conversion, yeah, I know it will get spendy. I like the uniqueness of it and plus I've already spent way too much money on this truck so I'm keeping it forever. Maybe someday I'll swap in a TBI fuel injection setup from a 4.6L Vortec and a T5 from an S10. I've already learned in my brief 23 years of life that hot rods are a big hole that are lots of fun to throw money into!

Fortunately I have access to a good bit of parts at wholesale rates (wife's family owns a Camaro parts business). I'll wait for a good deal on a used intake/carb, and I look at it as a hobby so don't count my time as an expense.

I was NOT aware it'd require headers, but now that you say that it makes sense. All the photos I've collected seem to show them. Why keep stock manifolds after all that work anyway?
If you do have to remove the carb, it's no big deal at all... Got it down pat on mine now haha. Just two nuts on the intake, the fuel line, probably a cotter pin for the throttle linkage and then any vacuum hoses (though it doesn't look like you have many hooked up) and it comes right off.. Maybe 5-10 minutes.

Headers aren't essential, but just like you say, why go through the work of intake and not have headers too right?

There is another option beside a 4BBL.. There's an adapter plate to go from the stock manifold to a Holley 2 barrel (I think around 500 CFM). My Dad has one on his vintage stock car, along with some old headers. Sounds mean, and you don't have to find a new intake. No idea if the adapter is still made (but I think it probably is) and would give you quite a bit more carbeuration compared to the monojet.

Like you say, keep your eyes peeled and you'll probably find a good deal. Not many people are big on old 6's so you might find someone pulling parts, or maybe someone has em on the shelf tucked away. We found a whole pile of good 250/292 parts, including headers, that the guy pretty much gave away because he didn't like 6 cylinders.
- 1933 Ford Stock Car
Shaun1162 is offline   Reply With Quote