View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #19
67stepsideC10

Re: 64 C10 - This Rat's a Keeper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun1162 View Post
If you do have to remove the carb, it's no big deal at all... Got it down pat on mine now haha. Just two nuts on the intake, the fuel line, probably a cotter pin for the throttle linkage and then any vacuum hoses (though it doesn't look like you have many hooked up) and it comes right off.. Maybe 5-10 minutes.

Headers aren't essential, but just like you say, why go through the work of intake and not have headers too right?

There is another option beside a 4BBL.. There's an adapter plate to go from the stock manifold to a Holley 2 barrel (I think around 500 CFM). My Dad has one on his vintage stock car, along with some old headers. Sounds mean, and you don't have to find a new intake. No idea if the adapter is still made (but I think it probably is) and would give you quite a bit more carbeuration compared to the monojet.

Like you say, keep your eyes peeled and you'll probably find a good deal. Not many people are big on old 6's so you might find someone pulling parts, or maybe someone has em on the shelf tucked away. We found a whole pile of good 250/292 parts, including headers, that the guy pretty much gave away because he didn't like 6 cylinders.
Hmmm, didn't know anything about the 2BBL option. I like that idea.

Did some research (mostly on this forum) and actually found out some prefer the 2BBL over the 4BBL for driveability.

Emailed Tom over at Stovebolt Engine Co. today. They sell the all the 1bbl to 2bbl goodies and more. I can get the adapter, brand new progressive Weber 2bbl carb and air cleaner for right around $250 plus shipping. Electric choke, too, which would resolve that pesky problem.

Thanks for the tip! I think i'll save up for that upgrade in the next few months.