View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 03:43 AM   #146
WIDESIDE72

Re: 72 SWB STEP "Army truck" Budget Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgaylord View Post
Nice paint
It's amazing what $10k (!) can do to a $500 truck. My dad still is in disbelief. I am so scared working on it that it's not even funny. If my momma was still alive she would skin him alive, and she thought that the 71 GMC we redid was too much! (I recently sold it for dad for $8k).

Part of the reason that the paint was so expensive was the amount of body work that had to be done. The body shop did new inner and outer rockers, cab corners, and one front floor corner (I forget which side). They also sandblasted and painted the frameand wheels, swapped the 3.07 rear with a 3.73 I had, installed new rear brakes on the 3.73, disassembled the 350 to check it out (against my wishes) and installed a set of rebuilt 882 heads. They also blasted, primed and painted the valve covers and oil pan. They blasted the Edelbrock Performer intake as well and re installed everything.

Dad pretty much had to put the brakes on things and tell them to PAINT THE TRUCK. NOTHING ELSE!!! The problem is, they are a resto shop as well and business was slow.

I would not have an issue with taking body panels only of my "shorthorn"to him, which is a 78k mile California truck with practically zero rust. It literally needs very minor prep before paint and letting them do it. (You can search for my other threads for details on this truck. It is definitely on the "back burner" until I get Ruby back together.

The painter does excellent work, but this truck was really too rough to start with such an extensive rebuild, IMO. As you know from the thread title, it was never MY intention to go so far with this truck.

Last edited by WIDESIDE72; 07-11-2016 at 06:08 PM.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote