View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #24
pritch

Re: garage concrete ???

The butcher shop in my town still uses sawdust over their 108 year old hardwood floor.

Another option that is getting popular is polished & stained. The company I work for's main business is building schools, and this finish is popular because it needs very little maintenance. But it very slick, especially if you have snow on your shoes when you come in. And towards that last statement, when I was contracting, every time I poured a garage or shop floor I would broom the slab in front any and every man door. About a 3' x 3' square, or wider if the door was. This was my standard finish. If the owner didn't want it I would hand him my trowel. Most just walked away in disgust. But in every single case after a few winters of use, if they saw me on the street they would thank me for the countless slips and falls I prevented them from having. I've finished everything from freeways to shuffle board courts and believe it or not, a simple garage floor is on the more difficult side of the scale. Not physically, but in getting that just-right level of slick yet non-slip yet sweep-able.

I do work on the side for a guy every so often and he always uses this stuff called Sparkle-Crete on everything I've poured for him over the years. We poured this bridge deck 12 years ago and even with all the salt that Utah uses (the absolute WORSE thing for concrete) there is not one trace of damage from salt (or an 80,000# mixer) yet.

I think he gets the stuff at Home Depot or Lowes. I'll ask him next time I see him. I think he re-applies it every 4 or 5 years or so.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote