View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 07:40 AM   #75
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: The Hillbilly Deluxe dually build

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastruckjunky View Post
I have a grill if you want, pay for the ride and its yours. Nice build, I've always like the 1 ton. I my self have had many of them. just PM me for your address on the grill.
I appreciate the offer but I've already got this one paid for and installed. I'll see if the looks grow on me before I do anything to change it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badpeanut View Post
Were you able to swap your core supports without removing the front fenders?
Yes.

I did have to remove the fenderwell bolts under one of the fenders. I didn't have to remove the fender or the fenderwell, but removing the bolts allowed me to splay the front edge of the fender out an inch or so which allowed the old core to slip out and the new one to slip in. I also didn't mess with the cooling system. I just unbolted the radiator and carefully set it on the frame, hoses still hooked up, while I was doing the swap. I did it all by myself and it wasn't much of a challenge. Just be careful with not hitting the radiator with the core support when you're wrestling it in and out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
Have you tried XL parts? These guys have everything. Well the one here does.
http://www.xlparts.com/Home.aspx
I have a pretty great aftermarket place here called Certifit, which sells the typical Chinese body parts, and I have a good buddy who is a long time GM dealership parts guy. Plus I like Rock Auto because I can work all day and compose a list of needed parts then hit the interwebs before bed that night and order them. It's usually two day delivery and no sales tax.

The reason I steered away from collecting the parts for an original grille is that GM has discontinued all of it, and to assemble one I'd need the grille, the two face plates with moldings, and the bow tie emblem. That's a lot of stuff to scrounge up, so I just hit the buy-it-now button on the billet grille for 61 dollars.

Next up is to swap the bellhousing and give the transmission anything it needs while it's out. Then on to lowering the truck and doing something about the wheels and tires. The paint being screwed up on the front of the truck is starting to dig at me a bit too now. That will need addressing.

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 01-13-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote