View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 10:43 PM   #29
71Sixer

Re: Electric fan thermostatic switch location; radiator or intake?

Quote:
Why would you not cool the water in the radiator? When the water in the the engine reaches 180 (example) it is exchanged with the radiator water. So the water in the engine is now cooled water lowering the temp of the engine. The water in the radiator is hot water and needs to be cooled off. If not the next exchange is exchanging hot engine water for hot radiator water. Why is the radiator water hot? Because the fans turned off the exact moment the exchange happens because the engine read cooler. This sets you up to at the very least an engine running hotter than it should or worce an overheating.
Most fan switches come on at 180* and turn off at 160*...at least that is what mine does. Why would you want the fans on, if they don't need to be. I have a two core aluminum radiator with electric fans and a 496BBC. The fans never come on going down the road...and come on only when idling. I have never seen the temperatures fluctuate from the 180* mark give or take 5*. IMO with the switch located near the thermostat...the fans will only work when they need to, which is when thermostat has opened and the water that is now in the radiator needs to be cooled off. If the radiator cools the water to maintain a temperature at or below 180* (which is monitored by the switch in near the thermostat), then you do not need to waste evergy by turning on the fans.

Last edited by 71Sixer; 01-17-2013 at 10:56 PM.
71Sixer is offline   Reply With Quote