View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 01:05 AM   #30
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: Electric fan thermostatic switch location; radiator or intake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Heartbeat View Post
The fans do not cool the water or the engine. If they did we would have air cooled engines with cooling fins. So tell me how the engine temprature has anything to do with it. The fans don't cool the engine even slightly, so tell me how turning the fans on when your engine hits 180 does anything what so ever. It does not. The fans are meant to cool the water in the radiator and that is it. The cooled water from the radiator cools the engine. If your fans turn off once the water exchanges from the radiator to the engine, what is going to cool the hot water off in the radiator? It just doesn't work that way period. WES
HUH????

I am kind of confused on this one. The fans promote air movement across the radiator that cools the water and thus cooling the engine, thus enhancing horsepower, thus giving the elusion that the driver is under control of his vehicle.

Turning the fans on at 180 degrees enhances the air movement, so that is why the fans coming on is important. Once they are on, they will continue to run until the sensor picks up a temp that is at the shutdown point of the electronic control. The temperature turn on point is adjustable in many controllers, so one can turn them on at any spot in their span. The temperature in the engine is controlled by the T/stat, which cycles at a setpoint that is determined by the manufacturer, but the running of the fans at a setpoint below the T/stat cyc ling open is useless, so the factory mechanical fan is nothing but drag on the engine in that area.

Running the fans after the engine is shutdown, means that you can cool the engine by cooling the water in the radiator and the design of the system will allow the cool water to go to the engine and the warm water to exit the engine by natural circulation until the T/stat closes again. It does work, that way.