View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #29
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: My 2012 GMC Sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalaigh View Post
Also, what kind of driving do you do? In town, country, highway, a mix of two or all of those?

I bought the 4.8 with a 4 speed because it better suited my in town and country drives, I didn't need the 6 speed, and didn't care that the 4.8 is only 26hp less then the 5.3. I average 16-18mpg with stop and go, and 80km/h county driving. The 6 speed would spend most of the time changing gears needlessly in my case. Sure it would come in handy at 80-90km/h, but the 3.42's keep my rpms at about the same as what the 6 speed would be at, at those speeds.
I have a 2011GMC SWB, 5.3, 6 speed auto tranny, 3.42 gears in the rear end and there ain't no "Grampa foot" on the end of my leg. I average around 19 MPG with the truck at 75 to 80 MPH on 265/50/20" tires. I have a K&N FIPK along with a set of KOOKS long tube headers, and a EFI Live tune on the engine and tranny. The tune on the tranny closed up the shift points and made the transmission more useable for my driving. The engine as plenty of low end torque and the capability to push the speedo to well over 100+ MPH, since the fuel cutoff is now gone.