View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 10:01 PM   #146
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Re: 1988 Suburban "V Rig" Gets Cummins Power

Looks great man!! A word of warning on that skidplate for the cooler though; there are nowhere near enough holes in it to allow the cooler to be effective anymore. It needs to be more holes than metal and even at that, it will still be a SERIOUS restriction to airflow. Maybe some expanded metal with large holes would work better, but even that is a large restriction to free-flow air. Years ago a buddy of mine was running a racecar/engine development testbed and he was experimenting with different screens across the frontal opening to keep track debris/stones/etc out of the radiator and even wide pattern wire mesh creates a significant reduction in airflow. I never would have believed it myself, but it was hard to debate the actual test results. He ended up runing a wide mesh for the purpose really surfing the fine edge of cooling system preservation vs engine temp control. Not quite chicken wire, but closer to chicken wire than door screen. Just some food for thought.