View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #14
chris989

SOLVED<<<<<Re: steering box worse after replacement

SOLVED,,,,,,

I pulled the steering gear out and returned it to the original shop that installed it, called Atsco tech and they selected a gear box from the warehouse, tested it, and sent it to me.

After my latest install I took the truck to a different front end shop to triple check the alignment. Guess what?? The alignment shop that was recommended to me first as "old school" they do it right" either jacked up the front end or failed to even check it properly.

My cam bolts were sheared and there was no way to adjust the caster. The new shop showed me the issue and printed out the detail graphics front the alignment machine.

The caster was -1.1 and -9. Factory specs are +2-4. I asked them to set at the higher end of the range. The shop set my caster at 2.7. Not the 4* i hoped for but maybe there was another reason it could not go higher without messing something else up. Obviously the difference is night and day.

When i replay my gearbox issue in my head i come up with this,,, The first box was truly defective, everyone agreed, The shop that installed it wanted to be sure and sent me to "his" alignment shop where in the process of checking/aligning a mechanic jacked up the cam bolts??? It is the only way. Prior to the whole mess we drove the truck on a 2500 mile vacation straight as an arrow.

I guess the moral is??
I should have installed the box myself the first time, (i ended up changing it out 3 times anyway) and do not ignore the obvious. ( the truck drove like negative caster) I should have changed shops sooner.
I hate to not trust the work of professionals but i am sooo tired or the "rip and run, get it done".

I hoped all of this helps someone,
Chris
chris989 is offline   Reply With Quote